When conducting interviews, it’s just the nature of the job that you run into some interesting people. While some candidates use perfectly-rehearsed responses to increase their chances of landing their next job, others try to wing it and be as genuine as possible.
And then there’s the other people.
Some candidates really do wing it, and their responses can be humorous, odd, or downright strange. CNN compiled a list of some of the weirdest things shared by a candidate during an interview. Here are just a few of our favorites:
1. “If I get an offer, how long do I have to take the drug test?” Something tells me this candidate did not end up landing the job.
2. When prompted by the interviewer, “Do you have any questions,” one candidate decided it was time to turn the tables! She replied, “If you were a fruit, what fruit would you be?” At least she wasn’t pondering the meaning of life…although there’s something to be said about someone who would choose to go through life as a kumquat.
3. “So, how much do they pay you for doing these interviews?” While some professionals find that changing careers can be rewarding and personally fulfilling, it seems a bit strange that someone would consider making the leap…while interviewing for something else!
4. After being asked, “What are your assets (as in strengths),” one candidate replied, “Well, I do own a bike.” Although many would not debate the merit of owning a bicycle, unless the position was as a bicycle delivery person, it’s likely not quite what the interviewer was looking for.
5. “What is two weeks’ notice? I’ve never quit a job before, I’ve always been fired.” We’ll let that one stand on its own.
If you’re looking for another good laugh, and also a learning experience regarding what you can come up against during interviews, be sure to read the entire article (with all 43 responses) at CNN.com.
And if you’re looking for top candidates who are incredibly unlikely to give you responses like these, contact Peoplelink Staffing. We work with some of the most talented professionals across the country, and we’ll source our extensive network for the best candidate to suit your needs.