The holiday season is a great time to reflect on the previous year’s successes, and think about what you would like your organization to achieve in 2012. In fact, now is the time to work on your strategic planning!
Effective strategic planning can elevate your organizational success!
Get the most out of your strategic planning, and achieve more in 2012, with these tips:
1. Be sure you have the right team. Yes, strategic planning will impact your entire organization, but that doesn’t mean you should include everyone in the planning. Include those employees who you can count on to be solid contributors, people who can provide insight, objectivity and depth to the conversation. Be sure to also include key team members who are essential to the implementation of your plan.
2. Don’t treat it like just another meeting. Some organizations take an entire day, or even a week, for strategic planning. However long your organization needs, keep in the back of your mind that your thoughts and ideas should be actionable and realistic. The real “meat and potatoes” of strategic planning is the implementation, so be sure to clearly define the goals and steps now, so you can focus on the heart of your plan.
3. Don’t waste time. Be sure that everyone is prepared to contribute to your strategic planning by identifying core areas to be addressed, and encouraging team members to brainstorm ideas – prior to the planning session(s). Let your team know that they will be expected to discuss these ideas during strategic planning.This will help you maximize your meeting time by having pre-identified targeted areas for discussion and planning.
4. Spread the word about your plan. Everyone shouldn’t be involved in the planning, but everyone should be involved in the plan! Once your team has clearly defined a strategic plan for the year, share that strategy with your full team. After all, they will be largely responsible for its implementation!
5. Get to work. You spent a great deal of time and effort developing an actionable strategic plan – now it’s time to start the action. Involve your employees in developing the actual steps necessary to implement the plan, then follow up and check in regularly to ensure each step is being followed. Quarterly meetings (more or less depending on your schedule and needs) can also help keep your team focused and enthusiastic about your short- and long-term goals.
Searching for ways to maximize your talent investment in 2012 and beyond?
Peoplelink Staffing is dedicated to helping you reach your organizational goals. We offer a range of strategic staffing services to help you get there. Contact us today to learn more.